All modems and routers have default configurations, including the device IP address, Router’s Login password , Network’s connection password and the WiFi network’s Name(SSID) .
Generally, the users prefer to keep these default configurations, or only try to change the name of the network. So they exposes themselves at many risks, including the hacking of the modem and accessing the devices inside the network.
Read More : Home WiFi Security Tips.
You should change all the default configurations when installing a modem or router, so that the hackers can’t penetrate into your network using them. You should know that all default configuration’s information for all modems and routers are available on the internet, so the hackers can access them by a quick search.
How to Configure the Router?
- Using the router’s configuration web page.
- The router’s management mobile application (if your router supports this feature).
1. Using the Router’s Configuration Web Page:
As mentioned In This Post , you can connect to router’s configuration page by typing the router’s default IP address in an explorer (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet explorer …). “If you don’t know the default router’s IP address , take a look to the router’s label “
When you enter the router’s default IP address, a page similar to the following page will be appears and asking you to enter the router’s user name and password for login to the configuration’s page:
If you have not changed the default configurations, you must use the default username and password to login, which is usually written in the router’s label:
Usually,the default username and password is “admin“
Now that you can get access to the device settings, just navigate to the “Credential Settings “ or ” Maintenance –>Administration” and change the Router’s Login Password. (Note that the default username in most routers is “Admin” and there is usually no need to change that).
2. Using the Router’s Management Mobile Application:
In this method, the user just needs to install the router’s management application introduced by the manufacturer on his mobile phone or tablet. Then connect to the WiFi router. (All routers have a default network name whose specifications are written on the label on the back of the router.
If the router has not been configured, connect to it using this default information). After connecting to the WiFi network, run the router’s management application and proceed according to the steps mentioned in the router’s manual.
For example, the method of configuring an Asus router ( for the first time ) using the official program of this router is as follows :
1. Turn on the phone’s WiFi connection and connect to Router’s default network name (SSID). the default network name starts with “ASUS_XX“.
- The SSID shown on the product label on the back side of the router. for example ASUSfor 2.4Ghz SSID and ASUS_5G for 5Ghz SSID.
2. Tap on the ASUS Router app.
3. Tap “Setup”.
4. Tap “ASUS Router”.
5. Choose “Allow” to start the setup.
6. Tap “Start“.
7. Set the Internet type based on your network condition.
- Connection type – Automatic IP: Tap “Next”.
- Connection type – PPPoE: Type user name and password provided by ISP and tap “Next”.
8. Type your desired network name(SSID) and password and tap “Next”.
9. Type login name and password and tap “Next”. ( Login name and password are needed when accessing to router configuration web page, like method 1 )
Note : if your have configured your WiFi router already , ignore the other steps and focus on steps 8 and 9 to change the WiFi router’s SSID/Password or WiFi router’s login Password.