If you have a large home or office network, you may encounter issues with WiFi Range and can not connecting to your WiFi network from certain points in your home or office. Commonly, this issue is happening due to leakage of wireless signal coverage. I have explained how to boost ( Extend ) your WiFi network coverage by a few steps in This Post. But if you couldn’t solve your problem with these steps, it’s time to buy a second WiFi router and add to your network. Please read the WiFi Router Choosing Considerations for Home or Office .
Can Two Routers Be Used on the Same Home Network?
- Improved wireless Coverage: Adding a second wireless router to an existing WiFi network can extend your overall signal coverage (WiFi Range ) to reach to the far away devices.
- Support for more wired devices: typically, each WiFi router supports a limited number of ports for wired stations. By adding a new wifi router , you will have more open ports for connecting new computers and other wired stations.
- Optimizing networks structure: if you transfer huge large file between certain computers or if you have LAN gamin system, it’s better to add a new router and connect such bandwidth-hungry systems to that and leave the other router for other kind of activities.
How to configure the second Routers in One House or office:
Installing a router to work as the second one on a home network requires a few steps for exact configuration:
- Use a same network name (SSID) for your first and second routers. How to Open WiF Router’s Configuration Page?
- Use a new WiFi-channel for your new router. How to find the best WiFi channel?
- It’s better that both router to have the same channel-width, what’s channel-width?
- Set both routers transmit power option to “Auto”.
- Disable the second router’s DHCP server.
- Set the second router’s IP Address to “Auto”.
- Don’t configure any internet connection in your second router, it is configured already on the first router.
Consider in mind, the second router is working in slave-state, it means the internet connection is establishing and managing by the first router, and the second router acts as a “Extender” .
How to connect your second router to first router?
There are a few ways for connection two (or more) routers, you can connect routers wirelessly by the Mesh technology and WDS bridging. But it’s better to connect your routers wired. The wired connection is more reliable and stable. All you have to do is connect the first router to second router by a CAT6 Ethernet cable, from router’s LAN ports.
At the final step, you should choose a good location for your second router to have best WiFi signal coverage.